The Hearth develops university and programme level academic value propositions, as well as detailed course designs for higher education.
World class universities are those that offer (1) excellence in the education of their students; (2) research, development and dissemination of knowledge; and (3) activities that contribute to the cultural, scientific, and civic life of society. Excellent education requires that students not only study and learn the specific content of the areas of their major interest, but also study ideas that influenced those areas as well as the cultures of the world that form the context for all knowledge. It is not enough for students to read texts and write exam papers that repeat what they read; students must develop through their university courses the habits of mind that enable them to succeed.
The main areas of advice/consulting provided by The Hearth Education Advisors include:
University-level Academic Programming
- Develop a governing board and identify mission and vision
- Assemble University and programme/department mission statements
- Define and identify key stakeholders of the University and in each programme
- Solicit stakeholder views on desirable programme attributes
- Assist writing educational objectives for the University at large that take into account mission statements and stakeholder desires.
Programme-level Planning and Course Design
- Assist formulation of programme educational objectives (broad goals) that address institutional and programme mission statements and stakeholders
- Assist formulation of programme outcomes (knowledge, skills, and attitudes programme graduates should have) to address objectives
- Develop internal self-study reports that determine ways and methods of evaluating the effectiveness of curriculum, faculty, and students
- Identify the “programme core,” set of courses in the curriculum that address the knowledge, skills, and attitudes specified in the outcomes
- Defining structure for course planning: identify course content and define measurable learning objectives for it
- Defining techniques for Instruction: select and implement methods used to deliver specified content and facilitate student achievement of the objectives
- Defining mechanisms for assessment and evaluation: select and implement methods that will determine whether and how well the objectives have been achieved and the results
Internal Quality Audit
The Hearth Education Advisors has a team that specialises in operational review and improvement of education institutions. The Hearth’s team uses secondary data, site visits, and interviews and observations, and analysis of documentation to deliver an education audit report that identifies an institution’s strength and weakness, areas of concern and how to develop, fix and improve the institution.